Sunday, November 2, 2008

Awwwwww Yeah!

So, I just had the funnest days ever!

Yesterday my sister Bird, mom, mother-in-law and BFF Jean put together a shower for me! Hooray! I got to see some great friends I hadn't seen in a while, and we had an all around good time, so it was awesome! Thanks to everyone who was able to come, and thanks SO MUCH for all the wonderful gifts! It was like Christmas, but then I felt guilty because I was the only one who got to open presents! I guess that's just how a shower works...

There were lots of funny moments, and secretly (well not anymore), I laughed so hard at one point that I peed a little. Shhhhh. Don't tell.

And then today, Mike and I put together our crib and changing table for Bean's room. I can't begin to express how fun and exciting it was! It wasn't the most restful sabbath activity, but it was a great bonding time for us, and good family time, I think. The crib and changing table are just perfect...I love them so much! It makes her room feel totally different!! After it was all put together and in the right spot, I just kind of stood in the room and got all teary, because it hit me really hard that she will actually be here. Like...SOON! I just can't wait!! Once I get her bedding washed and put on, get decorations up and get things organized the way I want them, I'll post pics, I promise! Hopefully...that will all get done BEFORE she gets here, now that I'm done with work and have some time on my hands!

And speaking of such baby related things (which are the only things I speak of lately, it seems) I just have to mention a few funnies. First, is that I've been having some Braxton Hicks contractions. Except, I can never remember that they're called Braxton Hicks, and instead usually tell mike I'm having "Toni Braxton" contractions. So, unbreak my heart, baby! Also funniness...Mike likes to remind me to do my Kegels. Except he can never remember that they're called Kegels, and instead tells me to do my "Cankles". I don't even bother correcting him anymore! And also speaking of cankles...many of you will be happy to know that I am developing them. My feet and especially my hands are starting to swell! My fingers look like little sausages, and my rings are permanently stuck on my finger. But I guess it's all worth it. The only thing I'm really bummed about are the stretch marks on my tummy that I developed about 3 days ago. Seriously. I have 2 weeks left, and I get stretch marks now? Everything I've read and heard said that IF I was going to get them at all, they would have started showing up months ago! Grrrr... they're pretty light, and not terribly bad, so I'm hoping that they'll go away after Bean's born. I don't know...is there any actual hope of stretch marks going away?? I can't tell you how much I hate the ones on my thighs, that I've had since I was twelve, hit puberty, and got tall really fast. Grrr...I hate them.


BUT - I digress.

Tuesday is the election and I would like to mention a few things, as a former Citizenship Education Professional. That's right. You heard me. When I was in college, the PA Dept. of Education decided that Social Studies shouldn't be called Social Studies, but should be called Citizenship Education. So technically, my degree is in History, with a Citizenship Education focus. The PADoE has since reversed this decision, and calls Social Studies, Social Studies again. But that's besides the point.

Um, right the election. I knew I was going somewhere with that. Vote or Die. Well, ok I won't kill you if you don't vote. But P-Diddy might. I'm pretty sure he's probably got guns. Perhaps that might influence the way you feel about the NRA??? I'm not sure.

I digress again. VOTE! I don't care who YOU vote for. I really don't. I have my own political opinions, and I have valid reasons for those opinions. I don't, however, feel the need to justify to ANYONE why I will vote the way I'm going to. People, it's a SECRET BALLOT for a reason. No one in this nation should be persecuted for their political affiliations. In the past couple of months I have spoken to individuals who have been alienated from their families or friends because of how they are planning to vote. That, my friends, is sad. Very, very sad. In this country, over 80% of the population considers themselves to be "moderate". This means that in the political spectrum, 80% of us are lumped right in the middle. Either just barely Republican or just barely Democrat. What does this mean? It means that the difference between Republicans and Democrats is more subtle than most of us realize. The number of those in the far left or far right is very small, and some of those politicians or activists who are labeled as "far right" or "far left" are really...far from it. I feel that if we could just recognize our differences, get over them, and then instead focus on those goals and ideologies we have in common, the political process would be much less vicious, and far more productive and efficient. In the past several months I have also seen many individuals who have the most insane logic for why they are going to vote. I know I just said that no one should have to justify why they are voting how they are...but I must also make a plug for people to be informed. For instance, I don't think the fact that Barack Obama is black would be a good reason not to vote for him. Sadly, my husband works with a woman who thinks that his skin color should be the major reason McCain gets elected. I've also heard people say that they won't vote for McCain because he's too wealthy. Let's get real, people. How many high level politicians do you know that aren't wealthy? Wealthier than you and me, anyway. Voting is important, and being informed about BOTH candidates and their platforms is equally important.

So that's my two cents, it's all I really have to say. Vote. It's important. Or Die. P-Diddy's making a list, and checking it twice. He also says, BK is open late. And since I do everything P-Diddy says, I'm going to vote, and then I'm going to go to BK.

Curly Fries....MMmmmmmmm.

6 comments:

Nicole said...

Alyssa, I totally understand your excitement over getting the baby's room ready! It's fun to be that excited. Just wait until she is here -- you'll put her in that crib and she'll look positively tiny:)

Good luck in the next couple of weeks -- I am sure she'll be beautiful!

P.S. If you start feeling bad about your few stretch marks, email me and I'll send you photos of my belly that looks like a Shar-pei (except not at all cute)(and without eyes and a tongue).

Gaining 9 pounds of water weight in 4 days ruined me forever. And by forever I mean until I can afford the tummy tuck.

chase said...

Yeah, good luck with those stretch marks. I haven't seen Chrysta's but I've seen Mom's and I've seen mine and there is a pretty scary resemblence. And mine came right at the end. The very blasted end.
And while they turn white after awhile, they're only going to go away when I lay down on the operating table (next to Chrysta because, per our discussion four years ago, we're doing this together) and have them surgically removed. Because, to quote Chrysta, "even temples need some remodeling every now and then."
Amen.

Chrystapooh said...

The stretch marks are Mom's fault. They're hereditary as far as I've read. I would say that you can join Anna, Nicole and I for a girls' weekend that involves surgery, but I'm not sure we want to wait long enough for you to have all the kids you're planning. Then again, it may be that long before any of our husbands will allow us to spend that much money at once...

Alyssa said...

HA! You think MY husband would let me spend that money? He'd probably just give me a tummy tuck with Duct tape!

Sara K. said...

10 days, 10 days, 10 days!

Christy said...

The only stretch marks I have I'm proud of. They are on my boobs! LOL!

They prove that at one time I did have boobs, even if they were for nursing my babies....it doesn't matter.....it proves I had boobs! I filled a C cup!

Wooohooooo!

Sorry back to you

YAY , ten more days......