Thursday, March 18, 2010

Why I Cried Today

So, today was a not so good day. It started out with Emma waking up an hour and a half earlier than her norm, screaming bloody murder. Not good.

She popped a tooth a few days ago, then had two really great days, and now is back in pain again today.

Sometimes when she is teething, Emma has a hard time eating anything. Today this turned into epic non-eatingness, as she ate pretty much nothing before lunch. Normally I could just handle this at home and do my best to try different foods, but we had to be at Toyota by 9am, for my recall repairs.

I got there, and the service people said the work would only take a half hour, but they were running behind so it would be more like an hour, or hour and fifteen. Wicked bummer with a starving child who won't eat any of the food I brought with me. The waiting room was packed, so I decided to walk to the starbucks next door. Bought two different kinds of (yummy) pastries, hoping Emma would eat something. She didn't. So I went to Cafe Fresco on the other side of the dealership, hoping to try eggs, or a biscuit, or something. No go there, either. So I just took her across the street and walk around the mall parking lot (it was closed and empty) to kill time and keep her moving.

After about an hour I decided to head back to Toyota for the last few minutes before my car was ready.

We walked in, and I let Emma out of her stroller to play in the kiddy area. It was the first time all day that she seemed herself. She was giggling and playing with all the different toys that we don't have at home. Like I said, we were in the corner, and Emma was giggling, but she was by no means being loud or obnoxious. Then, after about 10 minutes a guy sitting on the other side of the room, BARKS out at me,

"Hey lady, how 'bout you shut your kid up!"

And that is a direct quote. He was so loud, and so sharp, that it scared Emma and she started crying. So I looked up, and then heard another two or three people mutter things along the lines of,

"yeah, tell me about it..."

And I lost it and started crying right there on the spot.

Those people had no idea that this poor little girl has been teething just about non-stop for the last three weeks. They didn't know that her mouth hurt so much that she couldn't even eat anything in the 4 hours since she'd been awake. They didn't know that I'd had to drag her around for the last hour, because the service on the car took forever. No. All they knew about her was that she was playing intently in the corner and giggling. And apparently this is unforgiveable.

I didn't realize I was getting my car serviced at the Library. But I must have been, because that is the ONLY place I can think of, where her giggling may have been out of line. And I'm not even sure about that...

8 comments:

Sara K. said...

That guy deserves a roundhouse kick to the face. It's unbelievable to me that people say that stuff, out loud, in public, to your face. I've never had someone be so incredibly rude to me about my kids. I've had occasion to take the 3 youngest with me to our Nissan dealer and we seriously takeover the waiting room.

I hope you had a better rest of the day and I hope Miss Emma's mouth gets a reprieve.

Christy said...

W-O-W. I cannot even believe that Lyss. What the heck is with all these rude people you are surrounded by? Neighbors, grocery stores and now car dealerships? You need to move to the midwest ~ they dote on children and mommies here.

((HUGS))..... we heart you.

Krista Kovalchick said...

Alyssa, next time I'll go with you and bring Mason and Libby....and THEN they'll know what a problem looks like!
Awww...poor Emma! Exposed to idiots like that!!

Anna@Exasperation said...

OH.

Anna@Exasperation said...

NO.

Anna@Exasperation said...

HE.

Anna@Exasperation said...

DIDN'T.



Seriously. My ice cream is melting, I'm so mad. I can't even tell you what would have come out of my mouth if that had happened to me.

It probably would have involved the police showing up.

I'm so sorry. That's AWFUL. I want to call Toyota, get his information, stalk him, punch him in various, sensitive parts of his body and tell him to SHUT IT!

Deb said...

That is really unbelievable. That's when you've got to just wrinkle up your forhead and shake your head at these people and carry on about your business. That's why they HAVE those play areas, duh, TO PLAY. So sorry that their bad mood and poor manners became your problem ... that is truly stinky. Hugs to you!!!!!!!!!