Sunday, May 31, 2009

Decapitation, Domestic Disturbances, and a Marathon

So. Some stories to share.

#1. My friend Dani and I were talking the other night on our way home from volleyball, about traumatic bunny murders. We both had encountered instances of bunny murder by lawn mower, and I was commenting on the new family of bunnies in our front yard that I hoped would keep away from the mower this year. Well, they have so far. Unfortunately, one particular bunny did not escape the neighbors dog. It. Was. Horrific.

Yeah, Emma witnessed her first murder. Mike was gone every evening this past week for track, so it was just me and Emma. To pass the time I would take her out and walk laps around the house, and just enjoy the scenery with her. And that's when it happened. We saw the cute little bunny in the side yard, and it was just nibbling on some grass. And then the neighbor opened his door to let the dog out. The bunny was able to hide for only so long before the dog spotted in, and the race was on. Needless to say, the bunny lost. The dog just grab it by the head, bit down, and the bunny body went flying. Head, unattached. I yelped a little but I didn't want to upset Emma, so I quickly went around the other side of the house, but not before the dog grabbed the bunny body and threw it around some. It was awful. Absolutely awful. After I put Emma to bed, I cried.

#2. So, as if this week wasn't bad enough. Emma has been dealing with constipation, two teeth coming in, and thrush. So she has not been sleeping well on top of (and probably because) all of that. Yesterday was FINALLY a good day, where she was in a very good mood, and we had high hopes that she'd sleep through the night. And she was doing REALLY WELL until about 1:45 am. That's when some disturbance broke out around the corner. I heard Emma screaming first. But as soon as I went out into the living room, I knew what had woken her. There were about 15 people out in front of this house, dropping f-bombs and death threats left and right. Nice, eh? Well, they were loud. So very loud. After a few minutes I contemplated calling the police, but about a minute or so later, most of the people got into some cars and drove away, while the rest of the people went back inside the house. So, I left it alone. We tried to let Emma cry it out and get herself back to sleep, but with her schedule being so off lately, she just couldn't do it. She ended up being awake for almost an hour and a half before she finally made it back to sleep. Poor little thing! That also meant that I was up for almost 3 hours, because guess what, the people who drove away from the domestic disturbance CAME BACK!! Woo! Yeah, thankfully they didn't wake Emma this time, but I definitely couldn't get to sleep. Luckily, the cops showed up just minutes after the disturbance started, but then the lights were flashing and the sirens would blare every now and then, and there was just a lot of yelling. Talk about annoying. And in case you're wondering, NO, I don't live in the ghetto, or even a "bad" neighborhood. This is TOTALLY out of the ordinary, and I think there was a lot of alcohol involved.

#3. So. I'm running a marathon in October. My friend Darin (who ran the 5k with me) talked me into it. But she didn't really have to twist my arm. It's something I've wanted to do, and now that she found one, and is sending me a training schedule, and will train with me, I've decided to finally do it! I don't know how fast I'll be able to go, but I figure for this first one at least, I'll just set my goal to FINISH it, and then in the future I'll set my sights on a specific time. I have no idea WHEN in October it is, or WHERE, but I'll be running in it:)

And that's that, folks!

10 comments:

dbsetter14 said...

I can't believe you witnessed a bunny murder...what are the chances of that happening? And, I probably would have cried afterwards as well....poor baby bunny! What did the dog's owner do (random side note!)?

Good luck with training for the marathon, too! I am sure you will have no problem finishing it!

lauren said...

Super gross bunny murder - we have many bunnies but no dogs.. thank goodness.. You go girl with the MARATHON!! You and Darin and Lisa can totally do it.. Today in church I thought you were Darin - then I saw Darin next to you. So in my head I said I don't know the other chick - serious we all have the same haircuts and it is confusing me a bit. I will get it all straight soon..

Sara K. said...

We witnessed a huge deer meet its maker last week on I-380. Luckily it wasn't our car, but big deer vs. van at 70 mph is not pretty. We hit some pieces in the aftermath, thankfully it was dark, so I don't know what pieces they were.

You go girl on the marathon. Maybe I'd enjoy running if I had a partner or maybe I'd like it if I just didn't suck so much. You'll do great.

Speaking of neighborhood disturbances. The other night I woke up to a prey/predator fight outside our bedroom window. Don't know what it was, but I'm pretty sure the little guy didn't win. My heart was racing and soon afterward it sounded like one of the kids was crying. The girls were having a sleepover in the basement, so I figured one of them woke up and was scared or something. So I race to the basement to find them all peacefully sleeping, then race all the way back upstairs to find Owen peacefully sleeping, also too. But I keep hearing the crying and keep checking on the kids until I'm convinced it's not coming from them. Weird. It totally freaked me out. Like someone left a crying baby in the forest. Jerry went to investigate and heard a lot of scrambling/rustling through the forest when the backyard light went on. We googled strange babycry-like animals sounds and learned that it was most likely raccoons mating. Ewwwww!!! Get a room already.

Anna@Exasperation said...

A marathon. OF COURSE you're running a marathon. Because being hot isn't enough for you. You have to be hot and in ridiculously insane shape.
And somehow I still like you a lot. Weird. But seriously, yay for you! I think it's right up your alley.
Bunny murders = super sad! And it was a horrific one at that. I remember dad taking out a whole bunny clan, like, every other summer with his vicious lawn mower. You'd think the previous generations would WARN the Bunny X generation what's what, you know? But no, they still keep making little nests in people's lawns...

Chrystapooh said...

We had a dead bunny under a bush in our front flower bed (ok, so really it's bushes and trees because I can't get the annuals to grow there, but whatev). I don't know whether it was murder or suicide or natural causes, but I figured it would make good fertilizer, so I left it there and just covered it with a bunch of mulch. That bush better thank me.

As for your marathon, I've been seriously considering running the Charlotte marathon with Colie in December. I guess it would be good if I got off the computer and went to hit the treadmill at the Y already...

Christy said...

Better you than me! Good luck with the training! You will rock it

Nicole said...

Waaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!

The poor bunny!

WAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!

A marathon in October!

I'll be lucky if I can do the December race now, Chrysta, but I have a backup plan for March if this stupid, stupid leg isn't well enough for Charlotte.

That's awesome though, Lyss, and I'm excited for you (in those moments where I am not filled with envy, that is).

Deb said...

You won't feel so bad about the bunny murder after a couple years of aforementioned no-do-gooders eating all the flowers you so lovingly plant and "protect" with red pepper spray, red pepper flakes, Liquid Fence, blood, hair, ground up bone, Phooey, something expensive that begins with a "D", etc, etc, etc... After 10 years, you'll be rooting for the dog.

I have two halves of the same squirrel on my street. But I didn't witness the event, so it's not the same thing.

Woot Woot on your marathon!

Juls said...

The bunny murder GROSS! I didn't have the address to your blog, so I tracked you down through Lauren. What a cute baby, and love the name! Good luck on your marathon. I don't even think I could do a mile right now!

Shaylynn... a girl, a story, a blog said...

Alyssa. Birds ARE evil. Need i say more? Thanks for the sad images in my head. FUTURE EMMA>