Thursday, January 31, 2008

Health AND an ipod! Wooo!

So, I'm feeling pretty good. I will take the last of my prescription pills tonight, and I gotta say, I'm feeling pretty darn good right about now. And that's saying something, since I've been majorly sick and pretty much crappy overall for the past... two months? It hasn't been pleasant. But the past few days have been mostly phlegm free, my sinuses are cleared out and the pressure in my head has abated. It's... well it's pretty awesome. I'm still on the tired side, but I think that's mostly because it's been so long since I got a good nights sleep, and having to be on my feet all day at work just tires me out. And then there's all the running around with my calling at church, grocery shopping, cleaning the house, going to the gym, etc. So I'm just a sleepy kid. SOOOOO not only am I on the rebound health-wise, but I got an ipod Nano tonight! Hooray! My old mp3 player just quit on me after having it for two years, so Mike comes out and says, "lets just get you an ipod". And then I said, "are you sure ok let's do it!" And I'm converting all my files to itunes as we speak. Hooray I'm excited. Except they didn't have any accessory packages for the new shape of the nano. They only had accessories for the old shape, and that doesn't help me a lot. I mostly use my mp3 player for the gym and working out, because going to the gym is mind-numbing without some sort of distraction. So I need an armband thingy, and they didn't have one. Soooo yeah that's all I need and I'll be set. Hooray! And thanks to pops-in-law who I think inspired Mike to get me an ipod, by getting my moms-in-law one of those crazy amazing 80GB ipods for Christmas. This ipod is dedicated to you!

On another note, my new semester started Tuesday. I don't have high hopes. My first two classes are somewhat ok, they are just really big which makes any group of kids somewhat unmanageable. But my 6th period class... oh boy. Three minutes into the first period class I was already yelling at the top of my lungs and had to send a kid to the office. Let me set the scene for you...

As soon as class starts, I attempt to put the students in their seating chart. Mutiny ensues. I'm thinking, "who exactly do these kids think they are, refusing to be put into assigned seats?" And yet they whine complain, refuse to be quiet, refuse to move, and just completely ignore my instructions. One kid, when he found out that he had to sit next to a noticeably shy and embarrassed girl, yells "This is B.S. I ain't sittin' here no way". So I sent him into the hall while I laid it all out for the rest of the class. I instructed them that class could go two ways this semester: a) we take notes all period (86 minutes) everyday and have absolutely no freedom, privileges or independence, or b) we behave like mature people, have fun activities, work independently and have a good semester. Luckily, I had Jon in this class. He had my class last year. He was in my class from Hell. The class that did nothing but take notes every single day, because I couldn't turn my back on them without a fight breaking out, or someone pulling down their pants. So, I asked Jon if he liked me class the last time he took it. He told the class no. I asked him to tell the class what we did every day. He said notes. I asked him why class was like that. He said, and I quote "because we were horrible and did bad stuff all the time". As I turned to the rest of the class, I realized that my point was made and no one gave me any guff the rest of the period. However, they have been incredibly difficult to control all week. Loud. Obnoxious. Inattentive. Disruptive. Disrespectful. And it's just one of those classes that is going to drive me nuts, I can tell. Sam and K, you can sympathize with me, I'm sure. In that one class alone, I have 9 IEP students, Four 504 students, 1 that failed my class last year, 2 that failed the class with a different teacher LAST SEMESTER who are incredibly bitter, and 2 emotional support kids. All in one class. I think the guidance counselors think it's funny to watch teachers suffer. Seriously. I hate them. Literally.

Anyway, that's all for now:)

6 comments:

Chrystapooh said...

Wahoo for the iPod! They're finally starting to come out with the accessories for the new Nano, but yes, they're hard to find. The Monster iCar thingy is expensive, but worth it before you do any road-tripping, IMO.

And I'm so glad you're returning to some semblance of good health. Between you and Dad, I've been feeling mighty guilty for being the source of infection.

Then again, maybe sick days aren't so bad when you have to deal with a sixth period class like the one you get this semester - yikes! Good luck with that one...

Just the other night Hudson was talking about when we went to the temple with Uncle Percy and Aunt James and got to see "the words" and the windows. So glad we got to go with you. Miss you...

Anna@Exasperation said...

Uncle Percy and Aunt James? Seriously? Hudson needs a Thomas intervention. Just kidding! Cameron needs a superhero intervention - and I'm not kidding about that.
So back to you: THAT SUCKS that you have a class like that! Aaaahhhhh! All good reminders of why I would fail miserably as a teacher. My first instinct would have been to flog the children.
As for the nano, that's awesome. I don't have any kind of mp3 player or anything. Chase has one that he loves, though. Maybe one day...For now all of my money gets pooped on in the form of diapers. I can't wait until Miles is potty-trained. Next year. As in 2009.

Chrystapooh said...

Oh yeah, a Thomas intervention is seriously in order here. After we'd been to Mom and Dad's ward for two months, the Primary pres. told Mom she was really going to miss having "Thomas" in Primary. The entire Primary seriously thought Hudson's name was Thomas. Mom giggled and said, "Well, my name is Edward and my husband's name is Gordon..." And when we pulled up to Lyss's house for lunch after church, Hudson said, "There's Percy's shed!!!" Yeah. Really.

Deb said...

After hearing about your class, I am embarrased to say I live in Palmyra. (Don't tell anyone.) It's such a shame that kids (parents, administrators) can get away with this stuff these days. Stay strong, sista.

Alyssa said...

I would just like to add that to my 6th period class, I have had another student added who recently moved from Liberia and speaks no English. We don't have enough foreign students to have her in a full-time ESL class, so my objective is just to pass her. In her culture, if you fail at ANYTHING it's commonplace to get beaten for it, so we were pretty much instructed just to pass her so her report card doesn't cause any abuse... how ridiculous can this one class get? The last two days with them were absurd, and I had to call in reinforcements. I'll blog more on that later, when I've stopped crying and having night terrors about it....

Chrystapooh said...

Good grief!!! Are they hoping to chase you off before you get tenure, or what?!?!?