Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Coming Around...





Well, what can I say. I feel like it's been forever since I blogged, and I honestly can't really think of what exactly it is we've been doing. Oh right, Christmas. Um yes that was a wonderful time, when we weren't puking or hacking up lungs (both of which occurred AFTER the 25th, thank goodness)! We had a great time having the family around. Christmas Eve was the traditional get together at mom and dad's which was fun. Highlights included Gaby attempting a flip in the living room unsuccessfully, which left her in pain for much of the time BEFORE and AFTER it was time to open presents (oddly, the pain subsided long enough for her to unwrap:). Other highlights included lots of food, bling bling and a Coach purse for mom, great food, cool toys and clothes for all the kids, lots of chocolate and pies, and the MOST AMAZING HAT EVER THAT I NEVER THOUGHT I'D EVER GET. It's a winter hat that looks like a PSU football helmet with nittany lion ears sticking out of it. Amazing... Mike had to work in cahoots with Bird to get it, and I was well pleased.

After the evening's festivities we headed home to wait for Santa. In the morning Mike and I opened presents from each other. He got me some bling earrings, and I got him (with his parents, my parents, his sister and Bird all contributing as well...) a set of the Calloway Big Bertha irons he's been wanting for years!! He's a big guy, and so he's always wanted a set of their steel shaft irons so he can "feel the club in his hands when he swings it". Soooo he was pretty happy about that. The picture of his reaction is just... priceless!

So after that we headed to his parents house to see them, as well as his Sister Amanda from Texas. We exchanged presents (they went overboard and got us lots of good loot including a really handy foodsaver!!) and ate a huge, delicious meal. I think we played some cards, yahtzee or scrabble... I can't really remember because I think I was in a food coma. So, later that evening we headed to Matt and Deb's for the traditional Christmas Night gathering. More food. More food... Dominoes. Popcorn. It's all a blur. I think at some point I was wearing Taylor's boots, hobo gloves and vest. I don't remember why...

The next couple of days were spent chilling. Mike had to work, so I just hung out at mom and dad's. The 28th was a nice chance for Ta-May-May and Shaniqua (aka, me) to hang out, as she joined me on my youth temple trip. It was an early morning, but we toughed it out and watched HP:5 the night before. We were both dragging by the time we met up with my crew at the church at 5:30 am. I think Taylor and I both thought we were going to die as we at times were driving over 90 mph trying to keep up with Brother Findling, who was, for some unknown and bewildering reason, leading our caravan of five cars down 695 during rush hour on a Friday morning. It was a traumatic event, and I've tried to block it from memory.

The temple experience itself was neat, though! It was cool to hang out with Tay. She's my homie, fer sheezy. Hmmmm that night was mom's "Christmas Dinner", which she unfortunately couldn't eat herself because she was nauseas all night. It was also that night that I went home and puked. Not the best way to end the day. The following day I spent on the couch, unfortunately. However, it allowed me to be rested up enough to go to Matt and Deb's to watch PSU beat Texas A&M (that's who they played, right?) in the Alamo Bowl. It made Mike a happy boy...

Let's see... New Years Eve we didn't really do anything. We were both just totally demolished from all the running around, and feeling sick. So we were losers and fell asleep shortly after the new year began. A couple days later we were able to gather for dinner with Jean, Bird, Steve and his wife Holly, and Brad and his wife Dani. It was a nice chance to get together with my friends from high school (ok, well Bird's my sister and I can't say we got along when I was actually in high school, but I like her now... ya know she's kind of cool. And she's got massage skills... she's a total playa... how can you not love her??) while they were home for the break.

Other than that, we've been enjoying having Chrysta and her boys around. They'd made somewhat of a habit of coming over after church on Sundays and having a meal with us and hanging out before heading back to Lebanon. It was great getting to spend time with "Thomas", who affectionately referred to Mike and I as Percy and James. And when he saw our house, he recognized it as "Percy's Shed", so that was pretty awesome. It was also great to see Cannon walking around the house, even if uncle Mike did manipulate him into saying that Mike was "cool".

All in all, the holidays were a delight. So much so, that I hate being back at school. I really, REALLY wish our semesters coincided with this break. It's impossible to get the kids back into the swing of things when they know they only have my class for three more weeks after we get back from break. They've been pretty miserable and impossible to motivate. I really like them as a group, but lesson planning has become a huge pain, because they throw me 'tude anytime I try to make them do something other than sit on their butts. Oh well. I'll be getting a new crew in about 1.5 weeks, and I'm hoping they're as well-tempered as my current group.

I can honestly say I'm coming out of my funk. I've been rather funkalicious the past two months or so, and feeling downright awful at times. Meltdowns were a regular occurrence, and I'm glad to say that I'm coming around. So thanks to all who sent cards and well-wishes and prayers. Mike and I are doing much better these days, and we'll hopefully have more good news for you in the coming months! Till then we'll keep you updated on all the goings on and what nots. Love to all:)

3 comments:

Sara K. said...

Hey, hey , hey, nice update. I can't bring myself to recount the horrors, I mean the hullabaloo of Christmas. I'm blocking it out of my memory, much like your caravan to DC. We loved spending time with youse. I think we're finally getting back into the swing of life here in IA. Glad to hear you're feeling less funky.

Christy said...

((HUGS)) thanks for the update. We've missed you xo

Chrystapooh said...

Thomas misses Uncle Percy and Aunt James muchly. So does his Mommy! I'm not sure what in the heck we're going to do after church from now on - whatever it is, it won't be as much fun as hanging out at Percy's Shed...