Saturday, April 7, 2012

Strange Things

Since I started working at the gym, I've seen a lot of strange things. Some are gym related, like the guy who wears these crazy space-looking bouncy shoes made out of hard plastic, or the guys who come in and workout wearing garbage bag-looking sweatsuits. Of course, we also have a swimming pool, which is just behind the front desk on the other side of a glass wall. So I see lots of big, big men wearing teeeeeeeny tiny speedos. And I have to clean the locker rooms at the end of the night, so I've cleaned up lots of weird, wet, bathroom things that I won't mention.


But this lady?? She does some of the strangest things. You can't see very well because I was trying to be discrete taking the picture. But she's lounging in one of our leather lobby chairs, head on one armrest and feet propped up on the other armrest. She's chatting on her cell phone, in a language that's not English, but I don't know what it is. And she wears side ponies almost all the time. And she eats slim jim's by the box. I know this, because she checks in to the gym, then plops down in that chair, opens up her Kmart bag, pulls out the box(es - depending on the night) and empties them right in front of me. And she talks on her phone with her mouth full, so the chair usually needs a wipe down when she leaves. When she's done with her slim jim's, she'll walk back to Kmart (which is next door), buy some magazines, then come back, plop on down in her chair, and read for a while.

I always say hi, and am friendly/chatty with people as they come in, depending on how chatty THEY want to be. Some people barely nod as they hand me their keys, others stick around the desk and talk for a few minutes. I'm not sure how well this woman understands English, but I've heard her speak to someone else at the gym, so I know she knows at least a BIT of English. But she doesn't look at me, speak to me, or really acknowledge me at all when she checks in. She just throws her keys up on my desk, then plops down on her chair and leaves her keys sitting on my desk til she leaves. It's so, so strange. I don't know how often she comes into the gym, because I only work nights twice, MAYBE three times a week, and she's not there every night I work. But I've never actually seen her work out either. I've made it my mission to figure this woman out!!!

No comments: