Sunday, March 23, 2008

Ta-Dah!

Holy smokes, what an exhausting weekend!! Here's the rundown:

Thursday - I did demo by myself because Mike had to work. Started around 9, finished around 5:30. Mike got home, we had dinner, put up new framing and installed the first door (incorrectly, I might add...). Noticed our error, fretted for a little bit, figured out the solution, and called it a night around 11:00 pm.

Friday - Woke up at 5:45 (thanks to an alarm Mike forgot to turn off, oops), started to remove the door around 7. Realized we needed a longer metal cutting blade (to cut out the finishing nails, so we wouldn't have to rip out all the framing) so we made the first of our 5 trips to home depot for the day. Came back, got the door out, and finished the framing. Once framing was done, we installed both sets of doors, which was ridiculously challenging, trying to get them PERFECTLY set in the frames, PERFECTLY straight, PERFECTLY even, and actually able to close. But alas, we did it. Started work on wiring for the new lights. More home depot trips. Mike had to leave for Practice. I installed drywall while he was gone. After he got home we had dinner,finished drywalling, mudded the drywall, and painted inside the closet. Called it a night around 10:30 and dropped my car off for inspections.

Saturday - Woke up around 8, sanded drywall mud, taped it and mudded again. Mikes papa showed up (THANK HEAVENS, I NEEDED A BREAK!!) and he and Mike installed the carpet in the closet. Mama Sage showed up with Pizza and stromboli for lunch, and we feasted. Then they installed the new lights in the closet. Then they planed the doors so they would shut properly without sticking, and have enough of a gap between them to shut once painted. Mama Sage took me to pick up my car, and I hit the grocery store on the way home (funny how you get hungry when you're working your butt off!). Then the boys were still finishing things up, and planing, so I decided to assemble the shelving for the closet. Still planing, I decided to INSTALL the shelving on my side. And then on Mike's side. And then hang the rods. And then, just like that, BAM the closets were done!! The inside, anyway!

So, we got everything done except for painting and putting on the trim around the doors, and hanging my full length mirror. We'll do that next weekend. All in all, I'd say it was a very successful weekend. But my body hurts. Everywhere. Bad.

7 comments:

Christy said...

AWESOME!! YOU ARE BRAVE TO DO THAT ALONE.....but you did a GREAT job!

Chrystapooh said...

You rock, girl! (And you mud, and you tape, and you mud some more and...) Congratulations on a fab closet re-do. You should be on Weekend Warriors or something...

Sara K. said...

Splendid!

Deb said...

Well aren't you the talented one. Looking forward to lunch on Friday!

lauren said...

yo, yo, yo!! you are the stinkin bomb!! i am coming over to see the drywall job one day - then i will require education.. your closet is really awesome - keep up the revamping!! da phuis

Anna@Exasperation said...

So the real question is can you and Mike come down here and give us a quote for OUR closets (and our bathrooms and our kitchen pantry and the awesome wet bar that needs to go...)?
Fantastic job. VERY impressive.

Anna@Exasperation said...

I just looked at your blog to see if you have updated it and one word stuck out to me. STROMBOLI! I'm totally making stromboli this weekend. I just need to get Sara's recipe. MMMMMMMMMMMMMM.......