Friday, July 2, 2010

On Paint

First, I am still boggled by a few things about our new house. For instance, is it worse that two owners previous to us, chose the paint colors and textures that they did? Or is it worse that the owners prior to us just kept those same colors and textures? Or is it worse that they kept those colors and textures, because they LIKED them?? *shudders*

My friend Molly came over this week for the first time, and she hadn't seen pictures of the house. When she walked into the bedroom, her reaction was

"Uhhhhhhh I'm assuming this is the before color??"

And then she kind of let out a little sigh of relief when I said yes. As Anna put it, the color and texture in the master bedroom reminds one of living inside a bruise. It's just not good.

So anyway, we've had, and STILL have, lots of work to do painting. Small potatoes compared to the old house, but still, annoying nonetheless. I've spent more hours this week taping and painting than I care to calculate. But as I was upstairs painting the trim in the spare bedroom, I couldn't help but be annoyed by the fact that the last people who painted that room felt the need to paint EVERYTHING a really nasty off-white/urine-yellow color. That doesn't really describe it well. Imagine this: the color is reminiscent of a wall that was once white, but that has spent the last 30 years housing a smoker who never once washed the walls. It is just a gross color.

So, this color was on the walls, the baseboard, the trim around both sets of closets and the door, the door and closet doors themselves, the hinges, the trim inside the closets, the window trim, the window casing, and so on and so forth. Soooooo much grossness to cover up.

And what's really traumatizing me is the amount of time it's taking to paint over this hideous colors in the SMALL spare bedroom. Because that means that painting our HUGE master bedroom that is covered in DARK PURPLE paint is going to be soooo. much. worse.

BUT. I would like to say that the new Behr primer and paint in one is soooooo worth the extra few bucks!!

2 comments:

Anna@Exasperation said...

I keep meaning to post but then as soon as I sit down I hear someone destroying some part of the house, and cleaning makes my crotch hurt, so you know, I have to put first things first.

I think you're a machine. It took us three years to cover the urine/off-white/smoker colored paint that was over our walls. Of course, we had the bonus of it being flat paint. So we were covering the paint AND the stains that were on it. Sick city.

But again, you're a machine. I think it's amazing that you've already done as much as you have.

Especially considering, you know, stuff (is Chrysta there yet?).

Never did try the behr paint/primer, but it looked so tempting. Especially when I did my bedroom because I discovered that the paint of my dreams changed color when laid over the urine color (who knew urine could do that?), so I had to prime the whole thing and then paint. And that made me want to cry. But I persevered. Because gray walls are so much awesomer than pee walls.

Enjoy the GA clan. I'll just hang out here in the 9000 degree heat and be a little jealous some more of all the family you get to see this summer:)

Alyssa said...

Yes Anna, be jealous of the cousin-palooza I'm experiencing this summer. You should be. Also, no Chrysta will be here tomorrow or Wednesday. Why do you ask? Anyway...

Do you love the gray in your bedroom?? I am really thinking I will love it, but I also thought I was going to love the Egyptian Nile Green that we had at our old house. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it. Mike loved it, though. So anyway, every now and then I get a tinge of nervousness that I won't love the gray as much as I THINK I am going to love it. But anything has to be better than bruise, right?

Anyway.