Friday, November 6, 2009

The Sickness

Hello, my name is Alyssa. I've been clean for 6 days.


Err...I mean... I've been un-sick for 6 days.

Sadly, it seems as if the Sage household is cursed with the becursing cursification of The Sickness Curse. We just can't seem to kick it. I was sick in the early fall, and shortly after Mike got sick. Then he got REALLY sick because he's the kind of guy who refuses to see a doctor or take medicine until he's about to die. Then he got better. And then a few days later I ran a marathon. And a few days later I got The Flu. I don't know if it was the swine flu, because I DIDN'T go to the doctor. I called just to see if there was anything specific I should do, and they said to take cold and flu medicine. So, I'm glad I didn't waste my time, or money on a co-pay, for someone to tell me to take Tamiflu and quarantine myself. Anyway. So yeah. The flu. And then as I was recovering from the flu I developed bronchitis, but luckily it didn't get as bad as the bronchitis that Mike had. Ugh.

And now I've been relatively healthy feeling for 6 days.

The sad thing is that I missed out on a bunch of stuff being under The Sickness Curse. The symptoms weren't fully manifested at the time, but I was feeling crappy enough that I missed a trip to DC while my sis Anna was there visiting Pittsburgh Sara. Hey Anna.... yeah sorry about that...I suck. I know. But in retrospect, I'm glad I didn't go and infect you and Sara. Although I really was bummed about not going. And also, I had a weird dream the other night that you came home to visit mom and dad this time, and didn't bother to tell me because you were mad at me, and assumed I'd flake out and not come visit you when I said I would. But I just happened to go to mom and dad's that day, and you answered the door and told me to leave, but that I couldn't take Emma with me. I woke up very sad:(

I also missed out on a trip to Green Dragon with my MIL and her sisters. I was really looking forward to it. For those who don't know, it's a huge market with all sorts of food, crafts, and other random stuff.

I also missed out on a BEAUTIFUL week of weather!! The week that I had The Flu was just absolutely gorgeous out! Thankfully both my mom and dad were able to help me out that week, and were able to get Emma outside for walks and to play. But I felt SOOOO jealous that I couldn't get out!

The Sickness also meant that I lost about 2 of the 3 weeks of running I was planning on in prep for the Harrisburg Marathon this weekend. I've jogged a few times this week, but I don't want to do too much, because the race is so soon. So, we'll see how that goes!! Say prayers for me on Sunday, and hopefully I'll live through the race. But really, I just hope I finish!!

6 comments:

Christy said...

You're mentally tough....and your body has done this before. You will do great! Be sure to take lots of time to recover post race. ((HUGS))

Good luck...we love you!

Deb said...

This weekend, as in tomorrow??? Or as in Sunday??? I have to go back to re-read your blog.

Also too, Mason's pediatrician called and she says you had the Swine Flu. Not exactly that way. She called and said that Mason could have either the Swine Flu mist or the Seasonal Flu mist, and when I told her that he already had "a" flu this past weekend/week, she said it was nearly most certainly and assuredly the Swine Flu, because the Seasonal Flu hasn't hit these parts yet. Since you're in these parts, there you go. I won't even charge you a co-pay.

Glad you're feeling better -- and go kick some marathon trash!

Deb said...

Uh, because you just said "Sunday."

Sara K. said...

Awe.Some dream. I hate when dreams are realish and you wake up feeling genuinely sad.

Good luck tomorrow, as in Sunday the day after Saturday!

I totally remember the Green Dragon. I bought a water snake toy thing there when I was like 7.

Anna@Exasperation said...

Dude. That dream felt real to me. Maybe I WAS there and maybe I really DID steal Emma and not let you take her after I slammed the door in your face. Hmmm...I'll have to think on it. My memory is shoddy at best these days. Could've happened. That's all I'm saying.
But fo rillz, not mad/sad at all! By the end of the day we were all saying, "It's probably a good thing Lyll didn't subject Emma to this long, rainy, public-transportation-filled day." We had fun but you and The Emster would have likely been miserable by days end.
Or we would have just changed our plans to something more baby friendly.
Either way, we missed you. But, I repeat, were not mad/sad/bad at you. Well, maybe I was bad at you. Again, I can't remember.
You rock. I love that you did that marathon despite not running as much as you wanted. You can do these things because
again
you rock.
And you're bad.

Anna@Exasperation said...

Also too I just wanted to add that Green Dragon is my favorite place for funnel cake. It's the first place I remember - like, REALLY remember - eating it. And, therefore, the GD will always hold a special place in my heart.