Saturday, April 19, 2008

Mmmmmmhuh

So. My car decided to die at the gas station today. I had driven down to Palmyra this morning for a girls Lacrosse game (I keep time/score). The drive down was fine. My intention was to then drive to Shippensburg and meet Mike at his track meet for the second half of the day. Well...I got the car started and on the road just fine! I decided to stop off at Sam's Club to get gas on the way, since it's so much cheaper ($3.32/gal) and pulled right in. Filled up. Got back in my car. And nothing.

So, I asked the lady next to me if she can give me a jump. She agrees. As I'm getting my jumper cables out, the station attendant comes over to inform us that jumping a car in a gas station is illegal. So, we try to push the car away from the station. Except my car WILL NOT go out of park. I try...the attendant tries...the lady next to me tries...the thing is in park and it's not moving. So he says HE'LL do the jumping. In the meantime, so other nice gentlemen moves his car so that it's facing mine and pops his hood so we can jump it. Except, his new car has one of those batteries where only the positive is showing. So Eddie (the attendant) tries to hook the cars up, but can't get a good connection on the other guys negative, and my car still won't start.

Bah. So, I have to leave my car, and walk up to the Tire and Lube part of Sam's club, where they have a batter power pack for jumping cars. And wouldn't you know, presto-changeo, we get the car running!! Thank goodness I was near that Tire & Lube!! And thanks to all the nice people who were trying to help me!!

But then I had to drive home, instead of ship. And I barely made it. I was heading over the bridge to get onto derry street when my digital odometer went out, my gages all dropped down to zero, and the car started making a funny buzzing noise. I was praying so hard I would not get stuck on that bridge!!! And I didn't, thank goodness!! It did give me quite a panic, though! I hadn't turned anything on, no AC, no radio, no nothing, and the battery was still struggling! I couldn't even get the power windows to go down, so it was like a sauna in my car (it's 83 out, right now). So, my lights kept flickering and my gages kept dropping down to zero and the car kept buzzing, but I made it home. Phew!

And once I got into the garage and turned the car off, I thought I'd just try to start it, for kicks, and see how dead my battery was! Not a peep came out of that engine! So, once Mike gets home we'll go out and get me a new battery! It's original to the car, so it's almost 6 years old. I knew I'd have to replace it eventually, but I JUST had the car in the shop a few weeks ago for emissions and inspections, as well as a tune-up and oil change, so it's frustrating when the timing works out like it does!!

And now, I'm stuck at home for the rest of the day until Mike gets back. And that may be a while, since he had to ride on the bus this morning, and the meet is running way behind. Grrrr. I guess the house will just be REALLY CLEAN when he gets home! Ha! Or maybe, I'll just take a nap:)

8 comments:

Deb said...

So was it the really the battery or some other sinister problem?

Alyssa said...

Yep! It was just the battery! Mike's parents took me to get a new battery Saturday night (because Mike didn't get home from his track meet until almost 10 pm Saturday!!) and Mike put it in Sunday. Now it's humming right along!!

Christy said...

Scary man! Glad you are ok.

Anna@Exasperation said...

I hate car problems. Be glad it was just the battery, though! That's a pretty easy, cheap fix! We've had some major fix-ups with Chase's Civic (granted, it's a '95...).

Sara K. said...

When you think of how tragic that could have been, it really turned out quite well.

Chrystapooh said...

I hope you just took a nap...

Alyssa said...

Believe it or not, I COULD NOT fall asleep that afternoon! So, the house is just really, really clean:)

lauren said...

lame.. cars are awesome, but when they break down it BYTES!!