Saturday, April 28, 2007

Ridiculously long weekend, Part I

I see the blog boycott is over, everyone else has updated, so I'm feeling the pressure.

Okay, so this weekend has been ridiculous. And it's only going to get more ridiculouser. So, Friday night was the kickoff for our semi-annual... wait. Bi-annual... wait. Whichever word means, "They only have it every other year" Stake Dance Festival. I had the honor of being one of two adults who were present to supervise/chaperone the whole thing. The basic gist of it is that on Friday night at five o'clock, all the youth in the ward gathered together to find out what their "dance theme" for the festival was. Our theme was "Life is a Dance". From that moment on, all chaos ensued. We worked for about 5 hours on Friday night getting a dance routine together, working on props and a set for the stage, and working on costumes. It was amazing. There were so many people there! Me and Christian were responsible for teaching them the dance moves. Bird, I'm sure you're laughing your butt off right now. Anyway, I did it. And I was good! So we were doing the dance moves, while a crew worked on the props and a separate crew worked on costumes. It was all very chaotic, but organized at the same time. So Friday night was exhausting, going over a 6-minute dance routine over and over again in small chunks.

At that point, I took the YW back to my house to spend the night. BUT - we were working on our costumes and needed to stop at Target first. So, we did. Finally we made it home and started pigging out. Then we did nails, we did hair, and then I stayed up for a while SEWING costumes. Crazy. So the girls were probably asleep by 1, and I was asleep by 2. Then I got up at 6, took my shower and prepped myself for the day before I woke the girls. Then chaos broke out again as we got the girls ready to head back to the church for another full day of rehearsal. It was a LONG day of rehearsal. It was my job to learn and do the dances with the kids and help them learn it, get the rhythm and all that jazz. So, in the last 30 hours, I've done well over 1,000 squat thrusts. My quads are burning as we speak. BUT - we finally made it to the show, did well, and had a blast!

The Dance Festival started at 7, we were the second last group to perform, and then before we knew it, it was over, we were done, we screwed up a lot of parts, but it was fun. And then I was home by 10, after dropping the kiddos off at their respective homes! So, ridiculously long weekend part II will have to be updated later, after I'm done running the 5K in Philly with Bird tomorrow.

So why, might you ask, is this poor, tired girl who's been run ragged the past two days, and who is running a charity 5K tomorrow, sitting up at 11:11 pm (I just noticed that, by the way... got my wish in on time!!) writing this silly blog? Well, Mike left early Friday morning to travel with his track team to Erie where they had a meet today. I got a message from him saying they left Erie at about 9 pm, so it will still be several hours before he's home. And it's dark. And it's raining. And the house is making wierd freaky noises. And I wouldn't be able to sleep right now anyway. So, I blog. I blog like a maniac!

Oh, and as a side note: Here are a few of the Kilgore Family Reunion T-Shirt options that I sent Anna. Please feel free to add to the list, cross some off, or vote on ones you like.

"Kilgore's: The Other White Meat"

"Kilgore's: Don't hate us because we're beautiful"

"Kilgore Family Reunion, 2007: Party Like it's 1999"

"Kilgore Family Reunion: Please don't call the cops"

"Kilgore's: We ain't no nappy headed hos"

"Kilgore Family Reunion: Celebrating and Exacerbating Global Warming"

"Kilgore Family Reunion: Bettering America's Gene Pool"

That's all for now. Stay tuned for next week...

4 comments:

Sara K. said...

LOVE the t-shirt ideas. I can't even pick a favorite out of that bunch. Jerry, I think, would especially like the global warming one. Glad our stake doesn't do dance marathons, I have enough youth activities to more than fill my days weekends.

Anna@Exasperation said...

Um, so prepare to get a semi-hostile email from mom, who is very much NOT in support of the Imus-themed Kilgore slogan... I got one this fine Sunday morning...
MOM, it was a joke. But let me remind you that it was ALYSSA's joke so you should definately ground her!
As for the dance thingy - SO glad I'm not in Young Women's. I'm tired just reading it...
How was your 5k time?

Alyssa said...

Yeah, I saw mom on Sunday and she kind of slapped me around, but Dad thought it was pretty funny, so no harm, no foul. She also said, "We are NOT having any naughty headed you know-what sayings on our shirts!!" Then dad corrected her on the saying. Mwuah ha ha!

Christy said...

Scott likes the global warming thing..which is funny coming from an Environmental Engineer....! I'm all for the gene pool one! Great slogans all around Lyss! I'm glad you are getting grounded and not me.

Sounds like your weekend was very productive. Glad you had fun